The Wellness Exercise Instructor Certificate program is designed to train students to be health and fitness instructors for all populations. This program provides a practicum, which gives the students extensive experience and training in this field. It also provides students with knowledge in basic anatomy, exercise physiology, kinesiology, and nutrition to prepare the student with the knowledge and skills to meet the growing demands in this industry. According to the Alabama Department of Labor:
- Fifty-six percent of the people employed in the fitness industry in the United States receive their academic background from community colleges.
- According to the Alabama Department of Labor, the hourly salaries in Alabama for fitness trainers and aerobics instructors range from $8.64 to $25.56 (or $17,970 to $53,160 per year).
- Seven percent growth is predicted for these related jobs in Alabama in 2016-2026
- Associate in Applied Science – Management and Supervision: Wellness and Fitness Management
- Short-term Certificate – Wellness Exercise Instructor
- Courses in the Wellness Exercise Certificate program, along with a general education degree (Associate in Arts or Associate in Science), can transfer to a four-year college as a junior in Exercise Science/Kinesiology or Human Performance.
Jobs are available at local health and fitness clubs as personal trainers or exercise instructors. If a student transfers to a four-year college, then opportunities may be found in a student recreation center as a personal trainer and/or exercise instructor. The Management and Supervision Degree with a Wellness emphasis provides students with job opportunities as a manager or supervisor of a health club or in a recreation center at a four-year college if transferring into sports fitness management or business. A transferring student may also work in a recreation center in staffing, management, and supervision. Various electives are offered at the SSCC Wellness Center in health, physical education, nutrition, healthy cooking, and care and prevention of athletic injuries.