Veterans Resource Center
Additional Navigation

Veterans Resource Center

Welcome, U.S. Veterans, Service Members, Spouses, and Dependents!


Shelton State Community College is committed to providing veterans with a successful educational experience. The Veterans Resource Center serves as a location where veterans and dependents of veterans can obtain information concerning any education benefits for which they qualify.


Recipients of Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance (Chapter 35) benefits will be able to receive payments via Direct Deposit (EFT).  To set this up, students need to call the Direct Deposit toll-free number at 1.877.838.2778 with the following information: bank account number, the 9 digit bank routing number, and the type of account to which the money should be deposited (checking or savings).  Students should keep their mailing address current since all correspondence, including award letters, is mailed to that address. Students may also obtain a Direct Deposit Form from the Veterans Resource Center. Chapter 35 students who are on work-study will continue to receive those funds as hard copy checks even if they have EFT set up for their education benefits.

All students who receive VA Educational Benefits must meet the following requirements to have their enrollment verified to the Department of Veterans Affairs:

  • Must have a complete admission file.  For transfer students, prior credit has to be evaluated before submission of enrollment to the Department of Veterans Affairs.
  • Must pay for all registered classes, except those students who are CH 33.
  • CH 33 students must submit the VA enrollment certification request to the Veterans Resource Center to have their payments applied.  If a CH 33 student registers for courses and fails to submit the request, the schedule will be dropped on the next scheduled “payment due date.”
  • Must complete the VA Enrollment Certification Request Form and submit to the Veterans Resource Center for approval.  This form requires the student’s signature.
  • Must ensure all registered courses are included in current degree plan.
  • If planning to withdraw from a course, the student must complete another enrollment certification request form reflecting the change, and submit the updated form to the Veterans Resource Center.
  • If a student’s program of study is a certificate program, that student is required to attend 85% of each course in that program.  Once a student’s  attendance falls below 85%, the enrollment certification to the Department of Veterans Affairs will be changed to reflect “unsatisfactory attendance” in that course.  This change can occur even if the student is currently passing the course.
  • Once a student has successfully submitted the VA Enrollment Certification Request Form to the Veterans Resource Center, enrollment will be certified to the Department of Veterans Affairs within 24 hours.
  • CH 33 students who submit the enrollment certification request to the Veterans Resource Center to have payment applied will have payment applied by close of business of the day the form was submitted.
Alabama National Guard Education Assistance Program

ANGEAP is a program established by the legislature of the state of Alabama and is designed to provide financial assistance to active Alabama National Guard members who are enrolled in degree programs at accredited post-secondary institutions of higher learning located within the state of Alabama.  Limited funding is provided by the Alabama Legislature, and priority is given to those who apply early.  For more information about the ANGEAP, members should contact the unit administrator at their prospective unit.


Tuition Assistance (TA)

Tuition assistance (TA) is a Department of Defense (DOD) program.  ArmyIgnitED is the virtual gateway for all eligible Active Duty, National Guard, and Army Reserve soldiers to request tuition assistance (TA) online, anytime, anywhere, for classroom and distance learning.  It allows soldiers to manage their education records, including college classes, testing, on-duty classes, and Army education counselor support.  Soldiers may request TA through ArmyIgnitED prior to the course start date.  ArmyIgnitED will notify the soldier of TA approval.  If the TA request is not approved, ArmyIgnitED will advise the soldier of the reason and the next steps.  All drops/withdrawals must be handled through ArmyIgnitED.  Soldiers who do not successfully complete a class due to military reasons must request a Withdrawal for Military Reasons through ArmyIgnitED and complete all required steps to ensure that they will not be charged.  Students have fourteen (14) days from the start of the semester to input information into the ArmyIgnitED system for TA approval.


Alabama GI Dependents Scholarship Program

This nationally renowned program was created by Act 633 and approved October 1947 by the Alabama Legislature. It is administered by the Alabama Department of Veterans Affairs and is governed by the Code of Alabama 1975, Section 31-6-1. The veteran must meet the following qualifications to establish eligibility for dependents. A dependent is defined as a child, stepchild, spouse, or the unmarried widow(er) of the veteran.

  • Military Service: The veteran must have honorably served at least 90 days of continuous active federal military service or been honorably discharged by reason of service-connected disability after serving less than 90 days of continuous active federal military service.
  • Disability Requirements: Beginning July 31, 2017 veterans must be rated 40% or more due to service-connected disabilities or have held the qualifying rating at the time of death, be a former prisoner of war (POW), declared missing in action (MIA), died as the result of a service-connected disability rating or died while on active military service in the line of duty. *Veterans with a disability rating of 20-30% may qualify if the effective date of their disability rating is on or before July 31, 2017. This provision will expire on July 31, 2023. *Veterans whose disability rating is less than 20% prior to May 23, 2017 but who had a claim for compensation pending prior to that date which resulted in a final award by the United States Department of Veterans Affairs of at least 20% may be eligible if the dependent applies for benefits within six months of that final adjudication.

Veteran Residency Requirements: (Veterans must qualify under at least one of the following two requirements).

1. Permanent civilian resident for at least one year immediately prior to initial entry into federal active military service or any subsequent entry into federal active military service where a 12 month break in service occurred

AND one of the following:

  • Current resident for at least two years immediately prior to the date of this application or date of veteran’s death; or
  • Current resident who was discharged within the last 12 months; or
  • Filed a resident Alabama income tax return for the past 10 consecutive years.

2. Bona fide permanent resident for at least five years immediately prior to the date of this application or the date of the veteran’s death. Applies to 100% permanent and total ratings only.

IV. Student Requirements: As of July 31, 2017, Students applying for benefits for the first time must meet all of the following:

  • Must be a current resident of the state of Alabama at the time of application; and.
  • Must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for each year that they are covered under the Alabama G.I. Dependent Scholarship Program; and
  • Must comply with Standards of Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) as defined by their education institution; and
  • Must complete a Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) release form for each educational institution that they attend to authorize the release of personally identifiable information required to determine continued eligibility and as required for necessary reporting.

Application Assistance: The Alabama Department of Veterans Affairs maintains offices throughout the state which can furnish information and assist you in filing your application.  To find your nearest Veterans Service Office, visit the Veterans Service Office Locator page for contact options.


Chapter 31 Vocational Rehabilitation (Disabled Veterans)

A veteran may be eligible for Vocational Rehabilitation (Chapter 31) benefits if he or she:

  • Received, or will receive, a discharge other than dishonorable conditions;
  • Incurred or aggravated a service-connected disability which entitles him or her to VA disability compensation; and
  • Is in need of vocational rehabilitation because his or her disability creates an employment handicap.

Vocational rehabilitation may be provided for up to 48 months.  An eligible veteran generally has 15 years from the date that he or she is notified of entitlement to VA compensation to use their Chapter 31 benefits.  VA may approve an extension of time and/or length of training in certain cases.

Entitlement for vocational rehabilitation on services is determined on an individual basis following an evaluation of the veteran’s interests, aptitudes, education, work experience, and vocational abilities.  Each school is assigned a Vocational Rehabilitation Specialist to assist Chapter 31 students and school officials responsible for certifying Chapter 31 students.  Full tuition, fees, and books are paid to the school by the VA.  In addition, the student gets a subsistence allowance depending on the training status.


Chapter 30 Montgomery GI Bill® (MGIB) and Active Duty

The Montgomery GI Bill ®  (Active Duty), also known as Chapter 30, is a program of education benefits generally for individuals who enter active duty for the first time after June 30, 1985, and have contributed to the College fund.  Active Duty for benefits purposes includes full-time National Guard duty after November 29, 1989.  The participant generally must serve continuously on active duty for three-year or greater initial enlistment, or, for a lesser benefit, two years of an initial active duty obligation of less than three years.  An individual also may qualify for the full benefits by initially serving two continuous years on active duty, followed by four years of Selected Reserve service.  In the latter case, the participant must enter the Selected Reserve within one year of the release from active duty.   The participant must meet the requirements for a high school diploma or an equivalency certificate before the first period of active duty ends.  Completing 12 credit hours toward a college degree meets this requirement.  Individuals who initially serve a continuous period of at least three years of active duty, even though they were initially obligated to serve less, will be paid at the higher basic rate.  Shelton State Community college does not participate in advance pay.


Chapter 33 Post 9/11

The Post 9/11 GI Bill ® is a new education benefit program for individuals who served on active duty on or after September 11, 2001.  The benefits are payable for training pursued on or after August 1, 2009.  No payments can be made under this program for training pursued before that date.  You may receive up to 36 months of entitlement under the Post 9/11 GI Bill ®.  Once you elect to receive benefits under the Post 9/11 GI Bill ®, you will no longer be eligible to receive benefits under the program from which you elected before the Post 9/11 GI Bill ®.  A monthly housing allowance (MHA) based on the Basic Allowance for Housing for an E-5 with dependents at the location of the school (for BAH rates, please visit U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs) is associated with this benefit.  For those enrolled solely in distance learning, the housing allowance payable is equal to 1/2 the national average BAH for an E-5 with dependents for the 2011 academic year (Active duty students and their spouses cannot receive the MHA).  An annual books stipend of $1,000 is paid proportionately based on enrollment.


Chapter 1606 Montgomery GI Bill® Selected Reserves (MGIB-SR)

This program provides benefits for members of the Selected Reserve and National Guard who enlisted, re-enlisted, or extended their enlistment for a period of six years after July 1, 1985.  To find out more about eligibility requirements, please contact Veterans Affairs Regional Office (VARO) at 1-888-442-4551.


Chapter 35 Survivors and Dependents Educational Assistance Program

Dependents’ Educational Assistance provides education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of certain veterans.  This program offers up to 45 months of education benefits.  These benefits may be used for degree and certificate programs, apprenticeships, and on-the-job training.  If you are a spouse, you may take a correspondence course.  Remedial, deficiency, and refresher courses may be approved under certain circumstances.



The Military Spouses Center Advancement Account (MYCAA) programs sets out to prepare eligible military spouses for the work force by offering up to $4,000 of financial assistance (FA) from the Department of Defense (DOD).  This is meant to encourage spouses of military personnel to pursue education, training, licenses, certificates, and degrees leading to employment in portable career fields.  The MYCAA program uses this funding to pay schools directly for coursework and exams taken by the approved spouse account owner.


Class Attendance of Veterans

Any student receiving VA educational benefits is required to attend all classes in which they are enrolled.  Students who are receiving VA educational benefits and enroll in NCD (Certificate) Programs are required to attend 85% of all courses in that program. Once a student has missed more than 15% of a course(s) in that program, it is required that an adjustment be made to the student’s enrollment certification to the Department of Veterans Affairs to reflect “unsatisfactory” attendance for all courses that apply to the program.


Withdrawals from Class by Veterans

Students receiving VA educational benefits may adjust their schedule during the drop/add period.  After the drop/add period, students will have to notify the school’s VA Certifying Official before they may be withdrawn for any course(s).