The library’s Overdrive collection includes fiction and other best sellers and is a complement to our program of leased best sellers in print format. These ebooks can be downloaded to any computer, ebook reader, or other device that is compatible with Adobe Digital Editions 1.7.1 (or higher). The following log in procedures can be used both on and off campus.
To use Overdrive on a desktop or laptop computer:
- Go directly to the Shelton State Overdrive page. You can search the Overdrive collection by author title, and genre.
- Once a selection for check-out has been made, click borrow, you will be prompted to enter your Banner (S-ID) number (ex. S00123456).
- You will see two options to view the eBook.
- Option #1 allows you to download the eBook directly to your computer. If you select this option, you will need to have a desktop Kindle app or Adobe Digital Editions. To download the free Digital Editions software, go to Adobe Digital Editions and establish a FREE Adobe account. Please remember to keep your Adobe login information as staff cannot retrieve it for you
- Option #2 will allow you to read the eBook directly in your internet browser and requires no additional software.
To use Overdrive on a mobile device:
Download all the necessary apps from your provider’s app store.
- A Browser of Your Choice
- If you don’t wish to read your selections in a browser, you will also need to download:
- Adobe Digital Editions (which will require the creation of a FREE Adobe account)
- Amazon Kindle
- Open the Overdrive app and search Shelton’s Library.
- Select a book for check-out, click borrow, you will be prompted to enter your Banner (S-ID) number (ex. S00123456).
- You will be given the option of downloading the book to your Kindle App or reading it in your browser.
You can also search eBook titles directly from the libraries catalog:
If you need assistance, speak with a member of the library staff for clarification or email Tracy Williams. You can also go to the Overdrive.com help screen and follow the directions.
- To search for an eBook through the CATALOG METHOD, search for a resource as usual (search by keyword, title, author, etc.). Once you get a list from your search, you will see a designation for the type of resource it is. Note that you can narrow your selections by clicking on the eBook filter in the left column.
- In the catalog record, you will see the phrase "CLICK HERE FOR ACCESS." You will be directed to the Shelton State Libraries Overdrive.com page. Place the book in your cart and check out. You will be prompted to enter your Banner (S-ID) number (ex. S00123456). You will see two options to view the eBook. Option #1 allows you to download the eBook directly to your device. Please note if you are loading to a Kindle will MUST select the Kindle eBook option. Option #2 will allow you to read the eBook directly in your internet browser if you are not downloading to a device and want to read book on your computer.