No fee will be charged for participating in the graduation ceremony and you will receive a certificate and five graduation announcements. Guests will not need an announcement in order to attend the ceremony.
Cap and Gown Information
You will be responsible for purchasing your own cap, gown, and tassel (cap, gown, and tassel are black) from the Follett bookstore on the SSCC Martin campus at a cost of $36.00 (price is subject to change). You will be notified of availability of items, location for pick-up, and methods of payment.
You will need to register to participate in the ceremony by visiting the Adult Education office in Building 200 on the C.A. Fredd campus, 3401 Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd. Tuscaloosa, AL 35401 any time before April 15. For those awaiting April/May GED scores, registration will be allowed through May 4, provided you have purchased your cap, gown, and tassel and have proof of passing scores from the GED Testing Center, though your name will not appear in the graduation program. Register during the following hours: Monday-Thursday 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. and Friday 8:00 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.
Graduation rehearsal will be held an hour prior to the ceremony. Graduates should arrive at the TBA, to check in and line up for rehearsal. The rehearsal (practice processional) will begin promptly at TBA; therefore, graduates will need to check in and line up at TBA. During the rehearsal, we will cover all instructions for the ceremony, including line-up, entry, walk across stage, and exit. Seats will also be assigned, and honor graduates will be announced.
Since the ceremony will be held in the Bean-Brown Theatre
, you may want to suggest to your family and friends to park near the East Entrance
- Graduates are required to be dressed in cap and gown and lined up in the hallway beside the theatre one hour prior to the ceremony. Signs will be posted and adult education faculty/staff will be at the theatre entrance to guide you to the hallway. Signs will be posted and adult education faculty/staff will be at the theatre entrance to guide you to the hallway.
- Stop by the check-in table in the classroom near the hallway to receive and verify your name card. This is what you will hand to the announcer as you are about to go on stage.
- Graduates will line up alphabetically.
The graduation gowns are black. Please wear the following:
Positioning the Graduation Attire
- Women: Cap and gown, dark dress, dark dress shoes
- Men: Cap and gown, shirt with collar, dark tie, dark slacks, and dark socks/shoes
Proper Stage Etiquette
- Position the cap so the top is flat. It should not be set on the back of the head. The front point should be approximately one inch above the eyebrows. Please secure with a bobby pin.
- Place the tassel on the right side during the ceremony. You will be told when to move the tassel to the left.
- When walking across the stage to receive the diploma, hand the name card to the announcer. Your name will be read as it has been printed on the card.
- Extend your right hand to shake hands with the person handing you the diploma and receive the diploma with your left hand. Smile, say thank you, and continue across the stage.
Photography and Video
- The commencement ceremony is a time of great honor and dignity and a special occasion for our graduates and their family members. We ask that you refrain from talking, gum chewing, or excessive movement during the ceremony.
- Please remind guests that the gymnasium will not be open to the general public until 3:30 due to rehearsal. Guests should be seated prior to 3:45 p.m. as the ceremony will begin promptly at 4:00. We respectfully request that participants and their guests follow rules of etiquette including refraining from the use of cell phones during the ceremony.
Photography and Video Photography are allowed during the ceremony.
Shelton State offers an online Photo Store
where you may purchase photographs and other merchandise. Please allow up to 3 weeks after the date of the event for photos to become available.
Conclusion of Ceremony
During the ceremony, you will receive a certificate cover, but not your actual certificate. At the conclusion of the ceremony, please return to the area where you checked in to receive your certificate.