Veterans Information Center

Welcome, U.S. Veterans, Service Members, Spouses, and Dependents!

Shelton State Community College is committed to providing veterans with a successful educational experience. The Veterans Information Center (VIC) serves as a location where veterans and dependents of veterans can obtain information concerning any education benefits for which they qualify. We are located on the Martin Campus. You can contact the Veterans Information Center at 205.391.2383 or by email,

Effective February 3, 2012, recipients of Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance (Chapter 35) benefits will be able to receive payments via Direct Deposit (EFT).  To set this up, students need to call the Direct Deposit toll-free number at 1.877.838.2778 with the following information: bank account number, the 9 digit bank routing number, and the type of account to which the money should be deposited (checking or savings).  Students should keep their mailing address current since all correspondence, including award letters, is mailed to that address. Students may also obtain a Direct Deposit Form from the Veterans Information Center.  Chapter 35 students who are on work-study will continue to receive those funds as hard copy checks even if they have EFT set up for their education benefits. 

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK at - Just "LIKE" us to join!

Office hours are Monday - Thursday, from 8 a.m. - 6 p.m.

Approved programs:

  • General AS and AA
  • AAS Programs
  • Certificate Programs

For information about the admissions process, contact Enrollment Services, 205.391.2214.

  • Military transcript - In order to have your military transcripts evaluated, you must complete a request from  your branch of services with the transcript being sent to Lisa Riddle in Enrollment Services. The Veterans Center can assist you with completing the request.
  • Students will be committed to the graduation criteria of the catalog of the year in which they are admitted regardless of the date of enrollment. Students also have the option to graduate under the requirements of any subsequent catalog.

Financial Aid and Veteran Services:

  • Enrollment Services and Veteran Services will help you file the appropriate forms to process your educational benefit claims with the Federal Veterans Administration.
  • To obtain information about the Alabama GI Dependent Scholarship Program visit, contact the Veterans Information Center, or visit your local Alabama Department of Veterans Affairs County Courthouse Representative. 

The SOAR Institute and Office of ADA/Disability Services
The SOAR Institute and the Office of Disability Services works in partnership with the college community to facilitate access to educational programs to allow equal access for students with disabilities. For more information, Please contact Michele Minor at 
Applying for Benefits

United States Department of Veterans Affairs - Contains information about VA education benefit programs, including the GI Bill, Tuition Assistance, Veterans Educational Assistance and others.
How to Apply for GI Bill Benefits -  Electronic online application to apply for GI Bill benefits.
Federal Student Aid - Electronic online application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
W.A.V.E. - Monthly verifications are to be completed on the last calendar day of the month.

GoArmyED - GoArmyEd is the virtual gateway for all eligible Active Duty, National Guard and Army Reserve Soldiers to request Tuition Assistance (TA) online, anytime, anywhere for classroom and distance learning. It allows Soldiers to manage their education records including college classes, testing, on-duty classes and Army Education Counselor support.