Placement Testing (COMPASS)
Through the use of a designated placement assessment, Shelton State Community College assesses incoming students to place them in courses in which they can be successful. Shelton State requires all entering students to complete the designated placement assessment prior to registration. To view acceptable exemptions, visit the Placement Testing criteria and exemptions.
COMPASS Registration Instructions
- Admissions application must be filed prior to COMPASS session.
- There will be a testing deadline prior to the beginning of each semester, call 205.391.2232 for more information.
- COMPASS session information:
Martin Campus, Room 1826 - Directions to Martin Campus
Fredd Campus, Room 116 - Directions to Fredd Campus
For testing resources and to view sample COMPASS questions, view Testing Resources.
- Check-in will begin approximately fifteen minutes before the test time - please don't be late.
- Students must bring photo ID to the test. Failure to do so will result in students not being allowed to test at that particular session.
- Students may use their own calculator if approved by ACT. To view a list of approved calculators, visit: http://www.act.org/compass/student/calculator.html.
- This test is computerized and not timed.
- There is no cost for the first time a student takes the COMPASS test.
COMPASS Test Retesting Information
There is an eight dollar ($8) retest fee per portion of the COMPASS. Retesting applications may be picked up in the Advising Center. The retesting fee must be paid in the Cashier’s Office prior to testing.
Please call 205.391.2232, or email email@example.com, if you need additional information regarding retesting or to schedule the next retest.