Dual Credit

The Dual Enrollment/Dual Credit for High School Students Program allows eligible high school students to enroll in college classes concurrently with high school classes, either on the college campus or at the high school, and to receive both high school and college credit. The program is available to qualified students in Alabama public and private high schools. The qualified schools or school systems must have assigned working agreement on file with Shelton State Community College.

Students who are home schooled are not eligible for the Dual Enrollment Program unless they are under the auspices of a cover high school that has entered into an agreement with Shelton State Community College.

Determination of the equivalencies of Shelton State Community College course work toward high school graduation requirements is at the discretion of the high school system.

Courses numbered below 100 and physical education (PED) courses are not eligible for dual enrollment/dual credit. Students may not audit courses under the terms of this policy. Please refer to the Dual Credit Contract for more information.

In order for a student to enroll for dual credit;

  1. the school/system must have a completed contract on file with Shelton State;
  2. the student must complete a SSCC Application for Admission and complete all accompanying documentation;
  3. the student must meet all eligibility requirements;
  4. the student must provide a copy of their high school transcript;
  5. the student must provide a completed permission form signed by the principal, superintendent, and the student.

For more information on how to enroll, contact your high school counselor.
Please contact the Shelton State admission office at 391.2927 if you have admission or eligibility questions.  Students applying for dual enrollment or accelerated programs are encouraged to talk to their high school counselor before applying.  
For general information about programs offered at Shelton State, call the Advising Center at 205.391-2232 or advising@sheltonstate.edu .

Dual Credit Permission Form for students