The purpose of the Advising Center at Shelton State Community College is to provide knowledgeable assistance to ensure students achieve their educational goals. Assistance is provided by coaching students on the development of degree completion plans, working with students to resolve academic and personal concerns, and acting as a liaison between departments on the students’ behalf to ensure a seamless student experience.
Martin Campus - 2nd floor, suite 2411
Hours of Operation
Monday-Thursday 7:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
Friday 8:00 a.m. - 12:00 noon
Roles and Responsibilities of the Advisor
Summer 2016 registration begins Friday, April 1, 2016 at 8:00 a.m.
Roles and Responsibilities of the Student
- Advise students about academic requirements and selection of courses.
- Maintain systematic and frequent contact with assigned advisees regarding registration, advising sessions, academic status, and other necessary college information.
- Be a student advocate when appropriate.
- Monitor student registration activities and recommend solutions to academic difficulties.
All new freshmen are currently being assigned to an advisor or navigator. Transfer and transient students are also encouraged to make use of the The Advising Center.
Click here to learn more about scheduling an appointment with an advisor.
- Schedule and attend all advising appointments.
- Be involved in the advising process by being prepared to discuss your goals and educational plans.
- Bring a list of questions to appointments and ask questions if you do not understand a topic discussed during the meeting.
- Take increasing responsibility for making your own decisions based on available information and advice.
Advising Center Staff
Email or call one of the Advising Center staff if you have questions regarding COMPASS testing, advising, or for general information.