QTip #1: Did You Know...?
From: Odongo, Concetta
Sent: Monday, October 11, 2010 2:02 PM
Subject: QTip #1: Did You Know...?
Welcome to Quality Awareness Week!
As promised, tidbits of information about performance excellence will be made available every day this workweek for your information. All Shelton State employees are encouraged to become more familiar with the concept of quality as it relates to making our College a better learning and working environment. On Monday, October 18, the Quality Month Team (QMT 2010) will provide an opportunity for you to showcase your knowledge of quality for a reward. So be sure to read and remember.
Did you know Shelton State Community College has embraced the Baldrige Education Criteria for Performance Excellence to challenge the College to achieve the highest standards for Quality and Educational Performance Excellence? The Baldrige Program challenges us not to settle for “just being good.” It is about moving from Good to Great. Great organizations meet or exceed the high standards set by the Baldrige Program. To inform you about the benefits and challenges of the Baldrige Program, the following information is provided:
What is the Baldrige Program?
In 1999, the Baldrige National Quality Program, administered by the U. S. Department of Commerce, was expanded to include educational organizations. Since then, 142 K- 12 school districts, colleges, and universities have applied for recognition, and five have received the Baldrige Award. In October 2010, the title of the Baldrige Program was changed to the Baldrige Performance Excellence Program, to better describe the evolution of the program from a focus on product and/or service Quality to the broader context of organizational Performance Excellence. The Baldrige Program is the nation's highest public-private partnership dedicated to organizational Performance Excellence.
The Baldrige Program:
- Raises awareness about the importance of performance excellence in driving the U.S. and global economy
- Provides organizational assessment tools and criteria
- Educates leaders in businesses, schools, health care organizations, and government and nonprofit agencies about the practices of best-in-class organizations
- Recognizes national role models and honors them with the only Presidential Award for performance excellence
To improve the competitiveness and performance of U.S. organizations for the benefit of all U.S. residents, the Baldrige Performance Excellence Program is a customer-focused change agent that:
- Develops and disseminates evaluation criteria
- Manages the Malcolm Baldrige Award
- Promotes performance excellence
- Provides global leadership in the learning and sharing of successful strategies and performance practices, principles, and methodologies
To be the partner of choice for excellence in every sector of the economy
- Deliver a consistently positive customer experience
- Value and empower our workforce
- Think and act ethically
- Think and act strategically
"The 'good enough is enough' attitude is not what we're looking for. We have got to use every opportunity to improve individually so we can improve collectively." --- Nick Saban