Registering for Classes
Registration for Summer 2014 begins Friday, April 4th at 8:00 a.m. Please note that the College is open on Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. for assistance.
Please read all applicable information below and follow the appropriate links to register.
Current students may register online during the advertised registration periods. Advisors are available every day or you may make an appointment at any time by calling 205.391.2232.
All incoming freshmen must complete the application process and schedule a date and time to take the Compass placement assessment. Call 205.391.2232 to make an appointment. Once the Compass assessment has been completed, new students must attend a START Up orientation and registration day. Students will be advised and register this day. Application and testing deadlines for first-time freshman are published in the College's Academic Calendar.
Transfer students must complete the application process and provide evidence of meeting required pre-requisites prior to registering. Unofficial transcripts or current class schedules may be emailed to email@example.com to serve as temporary evidence of satisfying required pre-requisites. Transfer students must request that an official transcript from each college previously attended be mailed to Shelton State. Applicants who have completed a baccalaureate degree or higher and who do not plan to pursue a degree at Shelton State, are only required to submit an official transcript from the institution granting the highest degree. OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPTS ARE ACCEPTED DIRECTLY FROM INSTITUTIONS, NOT FROM STUDENTS.
Transient students must complete an application for admission prior to registering. All transient students must have a letter of good standing or letter of transiency from his/her home school. These letters are required each semester and are valid for the current semester only. Transient letters must be on file in the Office of Admissions prior to registration. In addition to Transient letters, students must provide evidence of meeting required pre-requisites prior to registering. The College will accept official or unofficial transcripts which may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Web registration is for current, returning, transient, and transfer students. Accelerated high school students, dually enrolled high school students, ability to benefit students, and students auditing a class must come to the Office of Admissions and Records to register. All first-time freshmen must attend a START Up session. Contact the Advising Center at 205. 391.2232 to make an appointment. Transient and transfer students must have an application for admission on file 48 hours prior to registering. To register in this manner, students must have their student ID number and password. Students who do not remember their password should come to the Office of Admissions and Records on the Martin Campus. Passwords will not be given over the telephone. Students who plan to transfer to a four-year institution in the state of Alabama, should visit www.sheltonstate.edu and click on the STARS link. The Statewide Transfer & Articulation Reporting System (STARS) is a web-accessible database system which provides guidance and direction for prospective transfer students in the State of Alabama. The STARS System allows public two-year students in Alabama to obtain a Transfer Guide/Agreement for the major of their choice. Print and keep this guide. If used correctly, it guides the student through the first two years of coursework and prevents loss of credit hours upon transfer to the appropriate public four-year university in Alabama. Please refer to the STARS page for more information.
PLEASE READ ALL INFORMATION PRIOR TO REGISTERING FOR CLASSES.
REFER TO THE PRINTED SCHEDULE OF CLASSES FOR PROCEDURES AND DATES & TIMES.
Before you continue, please make a note of the following information:
- You must have a User ID and PIN to access your myShelton account.
- ID's and PIN numbers can not be given out over the phone. Students who submitted an application online received a User ID at the time of submission and PIN's will be mailed within a week of acceptance. Students may also receive student id's and passwords in person in the Office of Admissions and Records.
- After the Admissions Office receives your application it will take at least 24 to 48 hours to process the form. You can not register until your application has been processed.
- If you receive financial assistance, please verify that funds are available prior to registering for classes.
If you are planning to register for classes that have computerized components, please visit the Distance Education page for technical requirements and course descriptions and formats.
Completing The Registration Process
Regardless of the method of registration chosen, the student must also complete the following steps:
- Obtain a copy of his/her schedule. Schedules may be obtained through your myShelton online student account via the internet.
- Full payment is required at the time of registration. All students who receive financial aid (Pell grant funding), scholarships, PACT, or other awards must submit a request for the funding to be applied to the tuition and fee charges. The entire balance must be paid before the published payment due date as listed in the printed schedule of classes. If you receive any financial assistance of any kind you must complete the Financial Aid Payment Form, or visit the Cashier's Office, after you complete your registration. IF YOU DO NOT COMPLETE THIS PROCESS YOUR SCHEDULE WILL BE DROPPED.
- Verify that all tuition and fees have been paid. Verification may be confirmed in the Cashier's Office or through the online student account via the internet.
- Register vehicle within the Cashier's Office on the Martin Campus.
- College identification cards are made in the Cashier's Office on the Martin Campus.
Students may use the "Forgot PIN" to reset their PIN only after the student has logged into myShelton and set up the required security questions . Otherwise, students should come to the Office of Admissions and Records on the Martin Campus and present a photo id to obtain Passwords.
NOTE: PC's and Internet Explorer must be used to access the student online account. Mac computers may not be compatible with the registration software. All pop-up blockers must be turned off in order for the portal to operate correctly.
STEPS FOR REGISTRATION
- Go to myShelton. mysheltonssb.sheltonstate.edu
- Click “Sign In”.
- Type your User ID and PIN, and Click the Login button.
- USER ID: S number, 9 digits beginning with a S. For example S12345678. IMPORTANT: The “S” must be capitalized.
- When logging in for the first time, your PIN will be your 6 digit date of birth (MMDDYY). It must be changed by user when logging in for the first time. The message tells you that your PIN has expired. Re-enter your DOB (Old PIN) and create a new PIN. It can be any combination of letters and numbers.
- You will also be prompted to create a security question. This will be used if you forget your PIN at a later date.
- If you have logged in previously and changed your PIN but cannot remember it, click on Forgot PIN?
- Click on the Student tab
- Click on Registration.
- Click on Look up classes.
- Select the appropriate term. Click Submit.
- To search for classes:
- Simply select the Subject and click Course Search.
- Click Advanced Search for more search criteria.
- To register for a class, select the check box in front of the CRN (Course Reference Number), and click Register at the bottom of the screen.
- C in front of the CRN identifies a closed class.
- If you know the CRN of the class for which you want to register, you may add them in the Add Classes Worksheet area and Click Submit Changes.
- Classes can be dropped from this page by clicking on the drop down menu under Action field. Select “Drop Class via Web” from the drop down to drop class.
- This screen will assist with any registration errors. The red circle with an X will inform you that you have encountered a registration error, and you will need to search for a new class or get the appropriate registration overrides.
- Once the drop/add period has ended, students will have the option to withdraw from a single class using “Web Withdrawn Course”.
- Students must come to the Office of Admissions and Records to Totally Withdraw from all classes.
- To print your schedule, under the Registration tab, click Concise Student Schedule. With the schedule showing, click File on your browser and click print preview. Adjust your preferred settings (landscape is recommended) and print.
Please contact the Admissions Office at 205.391.2214 regarding pre-requisites issues.
* Deadlines for taking the placement assessment is listed in the College's Academic Calendar.
Payment should be paid at the time of registration. Students’ class schedules may be removed from the registration system for non-payment if payment is not made prior to the designated payment due dates listed in the College's Schedule of Classes.
I have read the above information and I would like to continue to Web Registration.