HANDBOOK -- APPENDIX B
Guidelines for Off-Air Videotaping
1. Off-air videotaping will be done only for instructional or college archival purposes.
2. Any broadcast program recorded off-air simultaneously with broadcast transmission will be retained by the Shelton State Libraries for a period not to exceed the first 45 consecutive calendar days of recording.
Upon conclusion of the retention period, all off-air recordings will be erased or destroyed.
3. Off-air recordings will be used only once by individual instructors in the course of relevant teaching activities and repeated only once when instructional reinforcement is necessary on campus during the first ten consecutive "school" days (i.e., days when classes are actually in session) within the 45-day retention period.
4. Off-recordings will be made only at the request of individual instructors and will not be made in anticipation of instructor requests.
No broadcast program will be recorded off-air more than once at the request of the same instructor, regardless of the number of times the program may be broadcast.
5. No copies of off-air recordings will be made.
6. After the first ten consecutive school days, off-air recordings will be used during the remainder of the 45-day retention period only for instructor evaluation purposes (i.e., to determine whether or not to include the broadcast program in the teaching curriculum).
No off-air recordings made by the Shelton State Libraries will be used for student exhibition or other non-evaluative purposes without authorization during this period.
7. Off-air recordings will not be altered from their original content or physically or electronically combined or merged to constitute teaching anthologies or compilations. In the case of news stories about the college, permission may be requested in advance to alter or merge recordings for college archival or publicity purposes.
8. All copies of off-air recordings will include the copyright notice on the broadcast program as recorded.
9. It is the responsibility of the Shelton State Libraries staff to maintain the integrity of these guidelines regarding off-air video recording with library equipment and/or personnel.
10. Written authorization for off-air recordings to be retained permanently by the college will be secured prior to any exception to the guidelines indicated above. Such authorizations will be filed in the office of the Director of Library Services.